What is Firmware Update on Orbi
To keep your Orbi’s firmware updated is utmost important. Up-to-date firmware promises better connectivity of all your devices to your Orbi network. The firmware is regularly is updated by NETGEAR to ensure that you can use new features of Orbi devices. The firmware for your Orbi router and Orbi satellite is different. You must update the firmware of router and satellite separately. This is not a complex process. You can easily update the firmware on router and satellite. In the following sections, you will see step-by-step process to update the firmware of router and satellite. If you do it once, you are going to remember the process for always. You should keep in following things in mind before you start updating firmware.
Important points to keep in mind when you decide to update the firmware-
- Update the firmware on Orbi satellite before updating on Orbi router.
- You shouldn’t update the firmware on Orbi satellite and router at the same time.
- Connect your computer to the Orbi network using Ethernet cable instead of WiFi. You are suggested to do so to avoid corruption in the firmware file. If your connection to the network breaks during the download or upload process, firmware corrupts and you will not be able to update.
- If you have more than one satellite to update, don’t update all at a time. Update one at a time. Update second one when you finish updating first satellite.
- Don’t forget to update the router after updating the satellite. Make sure that both router and satellite run the same version of firmware. If you forgetting updating router, you will see the issues coming while using Orbi network.
You can download the firmware update for Orbi router and Orbi satellite from netgear.com/support, and upload manually on respective devices. You can update the firmware for Orbi satellite and router using apps and web browser also.
Importance of firmware update
Updating firmware helps you achieving better connectivity with Orbi network. If you don’t update the satellite and router regularly, you may see fall in performance of Orbi devices. Some issues in your router and satellite are automatically resolved as you update their firmware. Many times when users contact the Orbi support, they are suggested to check and update the firmware version of their Orbi devices. So, you may now guess how important it is to update the firmware of Orbi satellite and router.
How often you need to update
NETGEAR regularly releases firmware updates so that Orbi users can enjoy new features without any hassle. Users face less technical issues when they keep their Orbi devices’ up-to-date with latest firmware. You are suggested to update the Orbi devices whenever new update is released. You may check if new update is available from your computer as well as mobile, using web browser and Orbi app. If you see the new version is available to you, start the update process without any delay.
How can you update firmware
Orbi Firmware Update using different devices like Windows, Mac or Orbi App
Update firmware using Orbi app
To know if the new firmware update is available and update firmware on Orbi router using Orbi app on your mobile, you may follow these steps-
- Connect the mobile to the Orbi router’s WiFi network.
- Launch the Orbi app on your mobile.
- Sign In to the router by entering your user name and password.
- Tap the “Menu” icon the top-left corner of the app’s dashboard.
- Select “Settings”>”Router Settings”.
- Tap “Check for Updates”.
- If your router has a new update available, you will see “Update Firmware” displaying on the screen.
To update the firmware, follow the instructions displaying on the screen. It is as easy as ABC.
Firmware Update using web interface on Windows 10 and Mac
You can check the availability of new version of firmware and update it on router and satellite in following manner-
- Launch your web browser.
- Enter Orbilogin.com in the URL bar of the browser.
- A login window opens.
- Enter user name and password of the router in the login window.
- You will see BASIC Home Page on your screen.
- Select ADVANCED Tab.
- ADVANCED settings page will display.
- Select Administration>Firmware Update>Online Update.
- Firmware update page will display.
- Click “Check” button.
- Availability of new update for router and satellite is checked.
- If the update is available, click “Update All” button.
Updating takes not more than a minute. Once the process of update is done, router and satellite restart. You must read the firmware release notes to see if you need reconfigure the router after updating.
Issues you face while firmware updating
Orbi devices support auto update feature on devices so that users don’t have to worry about updating firmware. In the above sections, you have been provided knowledge about do the Orbi device auto update the firmware. If you find that your Orbi satellite is not updating as it should be, you may do as follows to resolve issues in auto update of the satellite.
- Turn off the power supply of your Orbi satellite.
- Disconnect all the wires connected to the satellite.
- Wait for a few minutes. After that reconnect the cables to the satellite.
- Turn on the power supply of the satellite.
After that, open the web browser on your computer and open the Orbilogin.com web page. Check if your router is searching for auto firmware update.
- You may try relocating your satellite to ensure that the strength of WiFi signal is good enough to update firmware automatically.
- You many also try to reset your router if the strength of the signal is poor.
Still can’t resolve the issue? Don’t worry, download the firmware from NETGEAR download center and update it manually. You may contact Orbi support if you don’t get success in this too.
Issues which can be resolved using Firmware updates
Issues on any type of device are unpredictable. We can’t say that user will definitely face this type of issue with this device. Yes, we agree that there is always some probability of occurrence of problems when you use the devices. With the regular firmware updates, NETGEAR always tries to resolve users’ issues with Orbi devices. If you keep your Orbi satellite up to date, chances are almost negligible that you are going to see unexpected behavior of the device (router or satellite). There are several issues that are automatically resolved when you update the firmware, like-
- Decreased performance of Orbi network.
- Orbi router or satellite is blinking red (Power LED).
- Connection issues between the devices
- Internet drops frequently
- Router automatically reboots frequently
- Not able to use all parental control features
You face an issue or not, you are recommended to update the firmware regularly.